This site is the daily repository of the most strategic articles for the Universally Loving US Activist.

Monday, February 1, 2010

'The job of the citizen is to die for the common good.' Gandhi synthesis

'The job of the citizen is to die
for the common good.'
Gandhi synthesis, consequence of his reading of
"Unto This Last," by John Juskin, one
of the two books that created the
man named Gandhi.

"My non-violence does not admit of running away from danger and leaving
dear ones unprotected. Between violence and cowardly flight, I can only prefer
violence to cowardice. I can no more preach
non-violence to a coward than I can tempt
a blind man to enjoy healthy scenes.

Non-violence is the summit of bravery. And in my own experience, I have
had no difficulty in demonstrating to men
trained in the school of violence the
superiority of non-violence.
As a coward, which
I was for years, I harboured violence. I began to prize non-violence only
when I began to shed cowardice.... A rabbit that runs away from the bull terrier
is not particularly non-violent. The poor thing trembles at the sight of the terrier
and runs for very life. (YI, 28-5-1924, p178), M.K. Gandhi.

More here: Gandhi - Give me a military man